These days it seems everyone is procrastinating and wasting time on their phones when they should be doing something important or just staring at the wall trying to put off the inevitable. The worst thing is that it has become ‘cool’ and normal for people to do so.
The logic is just not there. You are going to end up doing the work anyway, so why wait hours and become tired before you start and lose energy?
I am a culprit of procrastination too. It just seems second nature to take a break between work which is longer than the actual time you spent working. I pick up my phone and there are just so many distractions – I just can’t stop! Pinterest, Instagram, Whatsapp and Facebook seem to call to me from my phone.
Just five minutes I say… 1 hour later…..another 5 minutes won’t do me any harm.
Here are my top tips to #stopprocrastination2k16:
- Follow the two minute rule religiously! If it takes less than two minutes, then do it now. This comes from David Allen’s bestselling book, Getting Things Done. Whether this be making your bed in the morning, putting your washing in the machine or even making a to-do list, this will save you so much time later and means you don’t put off everything until the end of the day when you’re too tired anyways.
- Use to-do lists. Everyone thinks only OCD people use them but they make such a big difference. There is no need to plan your whole week in advance just do a quick one when you get home from school/work. This helps enormously! Either just make a mental list and prioritise or jot it down so you can visualise it.
- Ask someone for help. This can be from asking your mum to take your phone to avoid the temptation or your siblings to help you do your chores.
- Focus on the success you will achieve and the joy you will feel. Imagine the satisfaction of crossing something off your to-do list and the lifting of the burden you’ve been feeling.
- Award and motivate yourself. Once you finish this piece of work, you can have chocolate.
Try these tips and your levels of procrastination will hopefully drop massively. You will feel so relieved when you have tons more free time.