Continuing on from the last post where the problems of swallowing tablets/capsules were mentioned as well as the solutions to them, in this post I wil expand on the medical condition known as dysphagia.
What are some of the symptoms of dysphagia?
1. Feeling of food bring stuck in throat or chest
2. Drooling of saliva
3. Coughing /choking when eating or drinking
4. Food bring brought back up, sometimes perhaps through the nose .
What are some of the causes of dysphagia?
- Conditions affecting the nervous system e.g. Parkinson’s
- Neurological damage e.g. stroke, head injury, dementia
- Cancer e.g. mouth
- Gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD)
- Pharyngeal diverticula (small pouch forms in the throat)
What are some of the treaments available for dysphagia?
- speech and language therapy for new swallowing techniques
- changing texture of food/ liquids for safer swallowing
- tube feeding e.g. through the nose
- surgery to insert a stent.
to be continued…